The ESL One Los Angeles DOTA 2 Major was off to a fast start this March. With measures taken against the Corona pandemic, it seemed it would commence at its set time on March 15th. The playoffs decided the matches only three days ago. However, now the event faces postponement due to the sudden travel bans in the US.
The travel ban has forced attendees to ask for refunds as they would not be able to travel to the city. This looks to be the reason why ESL released today’s statement. It similarly reads as follows:
“In light of recent travel restrictions and the evolving COVID-19 situation, ESL is postponing the ESL One Los Angeles 2020 Dota 2 Major. While we were very excited to bring the first-ever Dota 2 Major to Los Angeles, the safety and well-being of our players, attendees, coaches, partners, and ESL staff must come first. We are working closely with Valve to determine a new time and location for the Major. We are deeply disappointed but believe this outcome is in the best interest of all of the people who make these incredible events possible. We’re currently working with the venue and ticketing provider to refund tickets as soon as possible. If you purchased a ticket, you should be receiving email communication in the coming days.”
There are no set dates for now on when the Major shall commence. This arouses concern that the DOTA Pro Circuit is inevitably delayed due to health concerns. It could be the case that future DOTA 2 Esports events could also face the same case; The biggest fright being The International being affected as well.
The International sets itself for the later part of the year. However, the DOTA Pro Circuit decides the final line that attends the event; The events like this Major being the prime example.
For now, there are no official updates by Valve, but it inevitably seems there will have to be a response by the Organization if future DOTA 2 events face cancellation possibilities like this Major.